1:5:10:365 EcoTip Blog

March 4, 2008

:064 Non-stick cookware

Filed under: :064 Non-stick Cookware — Tags: , , , , , , , , , — John Banta @ 12:01 am

bird.jpg

Suggested Review – none

1:5:10:064 Tip: Overheating non-stick cookware can lead to the release of toxic fumes. The fumes have killed pet birds and been implicated in causing a type of fume fever in people.

Health Canada says: “Nonstick coatings are a risk if they are heated to temperatures greater than 350°C or 650°F. This might happen if an empty pan is left on a burner. In this case, the coatings can give off irritating or poisonous fumes.”.

***********************************

Additional Information

Here’s what Dupont has to say about safe cooking practices.

http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/downloads/pdf/safety_tips.pdf

************************

Would you like to receive an email alert for each new 1:5:10:365 EcoTip? Sign up for a Google Alert.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: